Monday, June 7, 2010

Too wierd for the nappy valley peloton?

I went to the LBS yesterday. The man , whom I contacted several weeks ago, to share rides, has a new sign.
Oh its cute.

'Le Peloton'
Come share the ride 2- -25 km, more when group gets fitter.

Guy was ok. In fact he seemd desperate for anyone to ride with. He said, as I recall - it will be nice to have someone to talk to, or um not talk to. I said fine by me.

I told him to give me a call when he went out again.
He hasnt. This makes me wonder, is it guy sport manners to call back? Because a chick would have called.
Is it because the same reason no one will sit next to me on the bus( I look wierd, tired or hostile - the last being the intense stare you get from outdated glasses. Need some new ones, broke the newest pair. But whom am I kidding, no one will sit next to me , anyhow. Even with new glasses.Being that I am freak, who wears all black and reads big funny books on the bus. Plus sleeps the whole way, which people tend to find creepy.)
Is it because I dress in all black, all the time, head to toe?Or is it because I live in Canberra, which is full of zombified public servants?

Really. They ARE zombies. I once got on a public bus, mid summer, 40 out. About 45 on bus( like 102).NO windows open!! Mid afternoon! Everyone was too afraid of making a scene opening them.So of course, I walk on and say 'jesus christ! Its like 45degrees on here! Why are the windows closed( breaking the rule, no one speaks on buses, unless your either a teen, old people, poor white trash or wierdos).
So, I start opening windows.
What wierds ME out, is that no one - not one person, follows suit. In fact they all stare ahead, trying frantically to ignore me. So I start leaning over past people( breaking another rule, do not invade peoples space) to open more windows.
I mean , its REALLY hot. Im even sweating, which t dont do unless it hits 47 or so( about three second before everone bursts into flames).
Then I break the last rule( do not speak to passengers, on any pretext) 'what are you - zombies?!!!'

I swear , people could have been moulded from plasticine. Their faces did not even MOVE.
Creepy. And the thing IM the wierdo!!

So I am not sure if Im supposed to call this guy back or not.
So I decide, apon seeing the poster, yeah I ll give him a call. Then I notice, he wants to leave for a group ride, in winter, when it is about -2 to 2 o AT 7AM!!!?? WTF?
Not even the group rides( except really old retired people who seem to be well upholstered seem to ride in winter morning rides).
Is he out of his fucking mind? Maybe hes a fat guy and has no idea that riding at that time, means, you can tfeel you rhands after 20 mins. Perhaps he means, to ride 10 km, in about 15 min then cafe stop, carbo load on belgian waffles and stuff and then ride 10 km more.
Seriously, I dont know how people can do this. Im a scrawny gym bunny, but even if I myself, started chowing down on that crap , I;d be the size of a house in one month. How do they work it off?

I did however, fanasize that hes that Cippolini clone I see riding by now and then. I dont mean, by handsome, I mean the guy wears a zebra striped winter roadie jacket. How, uh , god I cant even find the words for it. Its quite a site( and I adore zebra striped things, but this makes him look like hes going to go ride on Team Van Halen 80's reunion or something. It reminds me of white sunglasses. It scares me frankly.
I didnt even look at his bike, thats how arresting this jacket was!!

4 comments:

  1. CycleGoddess, After Fridays comments on BikeSnobNYC you asked for someone to read your blog and comment. I am assuming you really want to hear my opinion. Rest assure my blog is not world class and few people have commented on it, so I can not claim any expertise. All I can say would be what I personally would want to read.

    First, the Obvious: Photographs. Let the world see what you see. You are on the other side of the world, let others see what common life so far away is really like. We see the professional polished photographs of the landscape, but it would be nice to be able to see what real people see and experience in their everyday ordinary lives.

    Second, there are two main reasons any one reads any work. One is the work resonates with what they know. The reader understands what the author writes so well, reading the blog is like talking to one of your best friends. The other reason is the work teaches you things you never knew or really want to know.

    The only way you can resonate with someone is to write from your heart. Let others know what is really important to you, and when you are mad, make them mad. When you are sad, make them sad. When you are scared, make them scared....

    The other part, teaching the reader requires you to write about something you know personally. Snob recommended reading Cycling Inquisition when he was gone. He wrote a peace about why soccer was so important to Colombians. If you did not read this, do so. It tells about something I never even thought about but really made me learn something even about myself. Because it was something he was uniquely qualified to explain it was like reading one of the classics of literature. What is unique about you is where you live and being an athlete with CF. If you can really let people experience these things in your writing, not everyone will love the writings, but for those who do, your blog may become their favorite blog of all.

    There are lesser reasons to read blogs. For example the greatest reason I read BSNYC is for the humor. I have my medical issues, and they are pretty serious. Spastic Paraplegia, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Bilateral Frozen Shoulders, diabetes, and the list goes on... Sometimes all I want is something to hold my interest so you don't think about what might happen in a month or two.

    Whatever path you take for you blog, pour yourself into it, that is what makes it unique.

    Nogo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nogo is correct- write from the heart.

    Pictures are good too (although I rarely post them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blog. Just say what you think. Keep up the good work. And go ahead, call the schmuck back. maybe he'll buy you some waffles (I hear that when properly dried they make good spare chain rings).

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.--I have nice thighs, too. Or at least, my avatar does.

    ReplyDelete