Friday, May 28, 2010

Its cold, kill me.

Yes its Saturday again, and a whole week has passed with only one ride.
This would be indeed shameful,had I not worked all week sick with Chrinic fatigue and that its bloody cold.
Yes, parts of Oz do get cold- in fact two parts- Tasmania and Canberra. If you look at a mapm you notice how close we are to the Artic circle( or is that Anartica, uh ...). Meaning that I took a ride a night ago and wore this:
merino t-neck
merino jumper
winter jacket
winter gloves
longs
winter socks

The ride was nice for the first 15 min until my hands went numn and my feet. At this rate, I am going to resemble a black snowman, if I wear the amount of clothes I need, to leave at 6 am in the pitch black morning to commute.
Its horrifying. I had to stop cycling in the day, to keep from getting skin cancer( we have no ozone) when Im older - which would stop me from cycling. (And if I cant ride 90 km a a day, when retired, whats the point of living?! ) If you had a look at the old guys who trundle around Oz, in their signature old aussie guy outfit of short sleeve safari jackets, shorts, long socks and business shoes - with faces that look like they have the mark of cain( circa Gorbachov), a pizza special 'cancer delight' or simply dottted with white bandages here and there , hiding the recent efforts of their surgeons to fix them up, giving them a resemblance to Michael Jackson.( Dont hope for links, Ive never been taught!)
So I was riding to work in the cool morning, missing the sun( which is about 100 metres away from the goround here - meaninh you just throw meat on the barbie in the afternoon, no need for charcoal, it will burnt o crisp just being exposed).
Now that the cool of the morning has turned to the freezing cold of the morning( meaning I'll arrive both sweaty, hot and chilled, like Ive been microwaved)Im fucked.
Means that I have to start spin class again.
Not that it doesnt work. I had my first race November last year( a 'fun race'meaning full of jolly fat ladies with baskets on their bikes, and far, far ahead some golden gazelles riding at light speed. ) I did well, a 20 km race( about 15 miles) in 20 .2 minutes - coming in 365 out of 986 women. Not bad for someone who cant run to the end of the street on bad days.
But they changed the timetables on the buses this year. So to trainI have to leave work at 4 pm. Arrive at 445. Train with weights until 615, then class for a hour, then sit in a sauna until 745, to get home at 815, in time to eat , wash and go to bed to get up at 6 am. Ok for one day but seeing as I work on my feet all day , moving heavy things and generally doing grunt work( I am a visual merchandiser at a major dept store) - hours of working out even for a healthy person is going to be hard. Despite my good attitude to illness in general( ignore it until I drop), its not going to happen, unless I feel like sitting out half the year in bed, having bombarded my system with so many free radicals from over exercise, I collapse with CF.

Its very fustrating. I have the will to get up at 5 am , ride 45 min to work, a hour home( slightly uphill) or gym it for 2 and half hours, the days I dont ride- and I simply cannot.
I reckon, I'd be a great rider by now, if my body hadnt piked out on me.
But, could be worse. Could have cancer.

I could hook up the indoor trainer and watch the Tour( yet again) on the wall projector. Thsi involves retuning my threshhold of boring up from ' exploding things' to ' gnats in brownian motion'.

Im going to have to decide soon. I have workplacement July, August and September - which will mean (training at the gym, to whip fat ladies in shape) a extra hour a day working. Where to fit in the bike?
Once October comes, theer temp will rise from screaming when you get out of bed nakesd when the heater has gone off, to merely getting a bit blue around the nether parts. Then school and worktraining done, I can ride to and from work, collapsing every night at having gone 38 km a day, with a rest every now and then to attend gym to vainly try to increase my leg size.

Why? Well, having been confined to bed many time, its better than waiting to get worse. Id much rather swear to myself as I take 20 min to coax warmth out of my 40 year old knees and curse the day I was born, as comp techs and public servant Freds, fresh from sitting down all day, zip past me up the inclines making me feel as if I am going backwards.
Now thats living:D

No comments:

Post a Comment